Thursday, July 25, 2013

Deadlight

What I expected:  MetroidVania game set in a modern zombie setting.

What I got:  a mediocre side scrolling game with zero exploration and zero interesting mechanics.

What I liked:  Nothing, everything is mediocre at best.

What I didn't like:  The entire concept of the game.  We have a million side scrollers, but this one doesn't do anything particularly well.  The melee weapons are tedious and basically useless.  The ranged weapons are incredibly effective, but you just don't get to use them often.

Story - boring and predictable.  I don't what is meant to be interesting.  It's incredibly obvious that his family dead THAT IS WHY THEY ARE BASICALLY GHOSTS, but he doesn't realize this?  The militia taking over is a tired story line as well.

Weapons / Tools - Boring boring boring.  A pistol, shotgun, and a FUCKING SLING SHOT?  Who thought that was interesting?  I realize they wanted a more realistic game, but they could have made a grappling hook at least.  

The art style seems lazy.  The black characters on a colored background kind of works, but it makes me wonder why it isn't more stylized or more realistic.  Should have picked a direction and went with it.

Final thoughts:  Literally everyone I have talked to who was excited about this game expected a MetroidVania game.  They were specifically excited because they thought it was a MetroidVania game.  I don't know why everyone expected this, but this is NOT what we got.  Nothing about it is worth the time.  No matter what you want, there is a better game out there for it.

How much did I pay:  $2

How many hours did I play:   3

Dollar per Hour:  $0.67

How much would I pay for this game in perfect hindsight:  $0.00

Why?  No redeeming qualities, and not worth your time let alone your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment