Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thomas Was Alone

What I expected:  A simple platformer with a low tech art style.

What I got:  My favorite platformer of all time.

What I liked:  Everything.  Literally everything.

Art Style - super simple, yet meaningful.  Each character is represented by a rectangle of differing scale and color.  You have no problems identifying which character is which.  The levels are extremely minimal and purposeful.  Danger is obvious, yet it all fits into the world.

Narration/story - The narrator is perfect.  His voice just fits.  I want Danny Wallace to narrate my life.  His voice is just perfect in the game.  I didn't realize he voices the Brit in the Assassin's Creed games, and it's worth mentioning he does a great job there too.  You may not believe that there can be such a great story in such a simple game, but it's so good.  There is legit character development, which is shocking considering the characters are literally just a rectangle.

Length/Pacing - The game took me 3 hours, and I 100% the game.  It was so much fun.  The levels go by very fast, and the feeling of accomplishment comes quick.

What I didn't like:   the fact that it ended.

Final thoughts:  Everyone should play this game.  There is no excuse.  If you are reading this, you can afford this game.  Go out and play it.

How much did I pay:  $1

How many hours did I play:    3

Dollar per Hour:  $0.33

How much would I pay for this game in perfect hindsight:  $10

Why?   Because it is just perfect.  Probably would pay more actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment