Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Deadpool

What I expected:  A terrible brawler with terrible writing about one of my favorite comic book characters.

What I got:  A decent brawler with amazing writing about one of my favorite comic book characters.

What I liked:  Writing:  I laughed my butt off from start to end.  Some of the humor is a bit immature (lots of boob jokes), but even those are charming in their own way.  Deadpool is perfectly aware he is in a video game, and he never stops taking advantage of it.  The ending of the game alone is worth the price of admission.  Deadpool is captured perfectly, and I couldn't be happier.  I don't want to spoil the jokes, but everyone you would expect shows up.  Cable, Wolverine, Rogue, DEATH!  *Swoon*  someone who really loves Deadpool wrote a lot here.

Combat:  Combat is simple yet effective.  They do an excellent job of mixing gun-play and melee.  Building up combos is fun, and the payoff for completing big combos is significant.  They don't try to do anything fancy or over complicate things.  You can buy combos through weapon upgrades which leads me to the next thing...

Upgrade system:  After coming up with a bunch of different ideas on how to improve Hawken's talent trees I have a lot of opinions on upgrade systems.  Deadpool's isn't very creative, but it IS fun.  You can choose to upgrade/purchase any weapon at any time. They have a lot of basic, but useful upgrades.  One of my favorite upgrades in game economies is anything that gives me more income.  They have income upgrades, and I love them.....ALL OF THEM.  They do have some interesting upgrades that give you crits on every X strike or health back.

What I didn't like:  Art:  This pains me to say as I know an extremely talented artist who worked on it.  I do blame art direction, and not the actual assets themselves.  I didn't notice any art bugs, and the texture quality was fine.  It's just the fact that most of the environments are really boring.  Sometimes they break to an 8bit world and that is great.

Length:  The game is a very short 6 hours, but I am only complaining, because I didn't want the comedy to end.  HOWEVER, if I had to choose between a longer game with a lesser density of comedy or what I got, I  would choose what I got.  I just really wanted the laughs to never end.

Challenge Missions:  I don't mind Challenge missions, but the reason I didn't do them all was PURELY because they wouldn't let me choose a higher difficulty until I beat it on the lower ones.  This means I would have to beat each mission AT LEAST 3 times.  That's really annoying.

Final thoughts:  A hilarious game that I think everyone needs to play.

How much did I pay:  $0.00  THANKS PAM!

How many hours did I play:   6

Dollar per Hour:  $0.00

How much would I pay for this game in perfect hindsight:  $30

Why?  While short, the game is perfectly written.  Well worth the 6 hours of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment