Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hitman: Absolution

What I expected:  Same old same old Hitman games.  Huge moving puzzles that involve me killing things in a slick way.

What I got:   Not the same old Hitman game.  This has a story, albeit a predictable one, and the puzzles are not nearly as big, but they are just as fun.

What I liked:  Gameplay - The classic Hitman killing is still there, and it is still awesome.  There are so many ways to creatively kill someone, and so many different styles as well.  Going in guns blazing is a legit fleshed out option here, and it is really tough (as it should be!)

Art Style - Not much to really talk about, but the game does feel like a game made at the end of a generation of hardware.  Super slick, great lens flares, and the crowds are incredibly lively.

Sound/Dialog - There are some great clips online that contain all the fantastic audio clips from this game.  The NPCs are brilliantly written.  Some are just flat out hilarious.

Level format - In previous Hitman games, all the levels were completely separate from each other.  They had no connection and they were just individual puzzles.  Now, many are broken down into linear sections.  This changes up the pace very well, and I never got bored or tired.  I hope they continue that style for future games.

Challenge System - O boy this is amazing.  Basically they have a bunch of "mini-achievements".  You can't get all the challenges in one play through, but you CAN complete a challenge then restart from check point.  Much like the rest of the game, it is VERY forgiving.  You can even cheese some challenges you have to do a thing multiple times by finding a good restart point, do it once, restart.  Tons of great inventive challenges.  I love all the different ways I can kill people.  My favorites are when there are challenges to kill a bunch of people in a mascot outfit.

What I didn't like:  Story (NOT THE  FACT THAT THERE WAS ONE):  The story is pretty lame with the girl you are saving is a super hero, but I do like the fact that they tried to put one in.

The only other complaint I have is on the individual level basis, nothing really stood out.  Yes, on the whole, I think this is the best Hitman game, but nothing compares to the Theater level in a previous Hitman game.

Final thoughts:  This game is a perfect example of the biggest problem I have in games right now.  There is simply just  too many great games around.  I honestly still want to 100% this game.  It is just so great.  However, at 32 hours, I felt like I needed to move on to the next game.

How much did I pay:  $25

How many hours did I play:  32

Dollar per Hour:  $0.78

How much would I pay for this game in perfect hindsight:  $60

Why?  Best Hitman game yet, tons to do, tons of fun.  Good length, and I could have spent more.

No comments:

Post a Comment